If you are thinking about having a granny flat built on your NSW property, you are sure to find this guide useful. In it, we take a look at the rules and regulations you need to be aware of, the task of choosing a contractor who knows how to build a granny flat and the costs involved in this type of construction project, along with some other important factors to consider.
Building a Granny Flat in NSW: Making the Right Choices
Whether you live in Sydney, Newcastle, Central Coast or anywhere else in the state, a granny flat could serve as a home for an older or younger family member, or it could earn you considerable rental income, while increasing the value of your property as well. To make sure your granny flat building project goes smoothly, consider all the points below before you get started.
- Complying with the Law When Building a Granny Flat – From Wollongong to Newcastle and beyond, the laws governing the building of granny flats remain the same. Wherever your property is located in New South Wales, you have the right to build a granny flat on it, assuming the existing property is at least 450 square metres in size, with 12 metres width measured at the location of the granny flat along with several other requirements which an expert at Smart Choice Granny Flats will check for you. For full details of the rules, please refer to the State Environmental Planning Policy.
- The Total Cost – Before you approach local building contractors, it’s a good idea to come up with an amount you are happy to spend on your new granny flat. Once you’ve done this, you’ll be able to focus on designs that fall within your budget, which will save you a lot of time. How much does a granny flat cost though? The total cost varies so widely, depending on size, location and specifications, it’s impossible to provide an accurate answer. To give you some idea of the range: it’s possible to spend anywhere from $80,000 to $200,000 on a granny flat in NSW.
- Construction Time – The time it takes to build your granny flat will depend on the design and specification choices you make but if you hire us to build it, we guarantee to finish the project within 12 weeks.
- Choosing the Right Contractor – The key to a smooth construction project when building a granny flat is to hire an experienced contractor who you can rely on to meet deadlines, stick to the agreed budget and provide you with any assistance you may need with the approval process. At Smart Choice Granny Flats, we provide guarantees covering all these important points, making us a great choice for property owners in NSW who want to complete their project with the minimum of hassle.
- Choosing a Floor Plan and Overall Size – The best size and layout for your granny flat will depend on what you plan to use it for. We offer a variety of standard floor plans, all of which can be adapted to meet the specific needs of individual customers so feel free to get in touch if you need any help on this point. We also have a display home you can check out for ideas.
To ensure that building a granny flat on your NSW property is a hassle-free experience from start to finish, contact us today to discuss your requirements. We offer quality inclusions, decades of experience and a promise to put your needs first at all times.