Property values have risen in NSW a lot, making it increasingly difficult for young adults to enter into the homeowners market. This has created high demand for affordable options such as self contained granny flats, the demand is growing more year on year. Making the granny flat formally built for elderly, now the most attractive option for young adults and young families who need and affordable way into having there home to be considered solely as accommodation for elderly relatives is now seen as an attractive option for people of all ages on a tight budget. Whether you are thinking of building a granny flat to take advantage of this demand or to provide a place to live for a member of your family, getting the design right will be crucial to the success of your project. Below, we have outlined some ideas for modern granny flat designs you may like to consider.
Choosing a Granny Design That Fits Your Needs Perfectly
The key to success with granny flat designs is making sure that you take all of your current and future needs into account before making your choice. Any of the design ideas below could be right for you but be sure to consider your needs carefully before you decide what to do.
- Pocket-Sized Granny Flat Designs – You can build a granny flat that takes up no more than 16 square metres, with a combined sleeping/living area and a separate bathroom/laundry area. This type of design is perfect for guest accommodation or for short-term lets if you want to generate some extra income from your property. If you opt for cladding rather than bricks, it is also extremely economical from a build cost perspective. If you have the space for a larger granny flat it would be greatly advised, this is good if you are restricted on space or budget.
- Simple 2-Bed Contemporary Flat Designs – A cleanly designed 2-bedroom granny flat with attractive exterior cladding and a small patio area can serve a multitude of purposes. Whether you are planning to use your granny flat as rental accommodation, guest accommodation or permanent self-contained accommodation for a family member, a 2-bed contemporary design is an excellent choice. This flexible granny design is very popular with residents of Sydney, Central Coast and many other parts of NSW.
- 2-Bed Modern Granny Flat with Large Patio – This is a design that we call the Entertainer, as it’s perfect for anybody who likes to entertain friends outdoors in fine weather. With a generous patio outside and a nicely laid out kitchen/diner inside, the Entertainer offers a choice of eating locations and sleeps up to 4 people in comfort. Whether you are building a granny flat to rent out or to house a family member, this design is well worth considering.
- Modern Brick Design – For a solid looking granny flat that would make an ideal permanent residence for family members of all ages, a modern brick design is a great option. Granny flat designs featuring bricks rather than cladding are more expensive to build but for permanent accommodation, we recommend seriously considering them.
- Granny Flat Design with Integral Garage – Suitable for any adult who drives, a modern granny flat with an integral garage can provide very convenient accommodation for older children or grandparents.
Contact us now to discuss your new granny flat and we can create a custom design just for you. We have a great deal of experience with contemporary flat designs in all areas of New South Wales and would love the opportunity to show you why so many property owners in the state trust us to build their granny flats. You’re welcome to visit our display home to see what we can do and you’ll be pleased to know that whatever granny design you choose, your new flat will come with many quality inclusions.